Wall Street Training: Advanced Excel for Data Analysis (Limited Space)
This course focuses on how to effectively and efficiently utilize Microsoft Excel for data analysis. A financial analyst will not only use Excel to build financial models, but also to crunch a large data dump. Learn how to minimize as much manual labor as possible, thereby saving time and performing more detailed analysis quickly. Apply commonly-used formulas in new and different ways; uncover often over-looked Excel formulas; streamline number crunching and analysis via functions and tools including pivot tables, sumif, sum+if, transpose, working with arrays, vlook-up, subtotals, and regression analysis; enhance your spreadsheets with drop-down boxes, data validation techniques, automation of alternate row shading; take Excel to the next level with emphasis on automation.
• Learn how to minimize as much manual labor as possible in data analysis
• Learn to use the most overlooked Excel formulas that will make your life easier
• Learn powerful functions built in Excel that streamline your analysis
• Master Excel shortcuts via formatting & analytical exercises encompassing efficiencies, shortcuts & sensitivity analysis
• Data integrity techniques: understand how Excel implodes when you don’t maintain integrity of your raw data
• Learn different “switches alternatives” (if, choose, offset and toggles ) to build more robust analyses
• Understand why IF statements are the second root of all evil in Excel and why they should be avoided at all costs
• Learn data validation techniques to dummy proof your model and provide additional error checking in your analysis
• Add some spice to your Excel analysis and models using dropdowns and how to automate options and scenarios
• Automate alternate row shading in a table of data using complex conditional formatting
• Fully automate vlookup to streamline tedious analysis while understanding the limitations of vlookup
• Understand why OFFSET(MATCH) is vastly superior to vlookup and why we discourage use of INDEX function
• Pivot Tables and Pivots on Steroids: summarize and dissect large amounts of data as well as calculated fields
• Truly unlock the full power of Excel by utilizing ARRAYS simplify complex calculations
• Learn how to use thetranspose array function without static copy paste special transpose as values
Prerequisite: Intermediate proficiency using Excel and a solid grasp of basic accounting fundamentals is required. Lack of basic Excel skills will impede your ability to effectively acquire and implement the techniques and shortcuts that are presented in this program.
Bring your PC laptop with Microsoft Excel installed and a working USB port. (Macs with Office 2008 will not be as effective). Laptops will not be provided.
Members - $495
Non-Members - $595
Student Members - $125 (Limited seats available)
*Function tickets cannot be used for this event
CFA Institute Qualified Activity: Eligible for 7 credit hours
Attire: Business Casual
Menu: Lunch Buffet (Vegetarian choices will be available)
Registration: Register online below
Hosted by: Education Advisory Group
Agenda: Class starts promptly at 9:00 a.m.
8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. - Registration
9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Seminar
Instructor: Ted Michaels
Ted Michaels has a broad background with the financing and operation of businesses, with a particular emphasis on education, real estate, and special situations investing. His current focus is on the acquisition and turnaround of distressed real estate and real estate backed investments. He has extensive experience in valuation and modeling methodologies and his responsibilities have included operational & strategic plan development and implementation, as well as deal origination, analysis & evaluation, structuring and financial modeling. As a vice president at WST, Michaels has led and assisted instruction on a wide variety of topics ranging from corporate valuation, to merger & acquisition deal structuring and leveraged buyouts. In this capacity he has taught at numerous universities throughout the United States and Canada as well as at major industry and financial services firms.
About Wall St. Training:
Wall St. Training provides professional financial training solutions to Wall Street through hands-on classroom training and customized corporate training programs for financial analysis which take a hands-on, interactive, practical, non-theoretical approach. Wall Street Training's clients include Bank of America/Merrill Lynch, Credit Suisse, Citigroup, Deutsche Bank, Fidelity, GE, Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, Morgan Stanley, TPG, and many others. For more information: www.wallst-training.com and www.wstselfstudy.com.
*Special Notes Regarding Fees:
Student rate only available to students approved as a Student Member of CFA Society Chicago for 2017-2018. Credit card is required to guarantee ALL reservations, no function tickets accepted. Day-of-event registrations accepted on-site only if applicable and space available. There is a $10 surcharge for walk-ins. Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Diners Club are accepted. Cancellations accepted until 5:00 pm, June 7.
Members of any CFA society may attend at the CFA Society Chicago member rate. If you are only a member of CFA Institute, you do not qualify for the Society member rate.
CFA Institute CE Qualified Activity
This program qualifies for credit under the guidelines for the CFA Institute Professional Development Program.
Content shared during CFA Society Chicago programs is not, and nothing in it should be construed as, an offer, invitation or recommendation of any specific financial services company or professional, or an offer, invitation or recommendation to sell, or a solicitation of an offer to buy, any securities in any jurisdiction. By registering for and attending this event, you acknowledge that any photographs that may be taken are the property of CFA Society Chicago and give your consent to their use in CFA Society Chicago's online and print business communications and marketing.